The Last Saying - "Into Your Hands I Entrust My spirit"


Topic:  The 7thand Final Saying
Theme:  Words of Assurance
Text/Context Passage:  Luke 23:44-47

Resources:  Matthew Henry; John F. MacArthur Jr.; Rick Warren

Note:  These notes are formatted as an educational tool 
for men of our network churches preaching on April 19, 2019
during the Good Friday Service.  
Click here to access the whole 7 sayings preparation. 


Introduction
They say that the last words of a dying man are one of the most important thing you need to listen to.  Jesus have spoken six and now we come to the final saying which brings “Words of Assurance.”   We all need assurance.  In this next ten seconds, can you write in your paper that’s making you really worry? You’ve been thinking about his lately, your mind has been preoccupied, or you’re just scared … (PAUSE)

Transition 
Let me read to you Luke 23:44-47
44 It was now about noon, and darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon, 45 for the sun stopped shining. And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”[a] When he had said this, he breathed his last.
47 The centurion, seeing what had happened, praised God and said, “Surely this was a righteous man.”

Observation
There’s a few things I’d like us to observe:    
1.  First, He is again fulfilling another prophecy when he cried out  That is found in Psalm 31:5.  It says, "Into your hands I commit my spirit, redeem me O Lord, the God of truth."  

2.  Second, that even the death of Jesus is accompanied by miracles.  (a) v.45a says the sun stopped shining; (b) v.45b, the curtain in the temple was torn in two – do you know how miraculous that was?   (c)  finally, v 47, a heart of hardened man was transformed – the centurion – a man in charge of 100 soldier, possibly the man in charge of the killing of Jesus – after seeing what had happened, He praised God…. And said “Surely this was a righteous man.”  Three immediate miracles at the very last breathe of Jesus.    

2.  Thirdly, this saying reminds me of how each person die differently.  Some die desperately, others frantically, others hesitantly, without concern or some die peacefully – with great assurance.   Wouldn’t you want to die like Jesus?  Why?   Because Jesus died well: 
He was at peace that it was his time
·    He wasn’t afraid to die
·    He died with no resolved relationships
·    He wasn’t angry or bitter
·    He knew where he was going
·    He trusted God with his future

Which among these is keeping you from having peace over death?   

APPLICATION
Wouldn’t you want to be like Jesus?  How can I be like Jesus?   Here are four things you must remember in your darkest hour. 

1. Your Father Loves you.  My Father Loves me.   (I have a Father in heaven who loves me.)   The Bible says in Psalm 103:13, As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion to those who honor Him…”

2. You Can Trust Your Father.   I can trust My Father.   (My Father can be trusted.)  The Bible says, “For the word of the Lord holds true, and everything he does is worthy of our trust.”  Psalm 33:4

3. Your Father Knows What He is doing.  My Father knows what He is doing.   (My father is taking care of things I can’t see. ) The Bible says “When he is at work in the north, I do not see him.  But he knows the way that I take; and when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.”Job 23:9-10

4. You can turn things over to Him now! I can turn things over to My Father now!   (My Father can handle anything I put in His hands.)   The Bible says ‘I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish…My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of a Father’s hand.”  

Here’s what you need to do?  You need to get used to trusting in God.  Say this all the time, “Father I entrust my spirit into your hands.”  Say it to God throughout your day, especially when things get difficult.   

CONCLUSION
At the beginning I asked you to write what’s making you REALLY worry.   Now say this phrase according to your situation. If it is money…relationship…work…children… say the phrase… 



“Father I entrust my ___________________ into your hands.”

Money - “Father I entrust my moneyinto your hands.”
Relationship - “Father I entrust my relationshipinto your hands.”
Work - “Father I entrust my workinto your hands.”
Children  - “Father I entrust my childreninto your hands.” 
Situation - “Father I entrust my situationinto your hands.”

Let us pray:  (Lead to closing)  


 ============

Student’s Notes – with answers

Luke 23:44-47
The Last Saying:  “Father I entrust my spirit into your hands.”


INTRODUCTION:
What is making you REALLY worry?
_________________________________________

OBSERVATION:  Miracles that happened during Jesus last breathe?  
·     V.45a, the sun stopped shining
·     V. 45b, the curtainin the temple tore into two
·     V.47, a hardened heart was transformed – centurion

APPLICATION: Four things to remember in your own darkest hour:
1.  My Father loves me.  Psalm 103:13, As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion to those who honor Him…”

2.  I can trust My Father. The Bible says, “For the word of the Lord holds true, and everything he does is worthy of our trust.” Psalm 33:4

3.  My Father knows what He is doing.  “When he is at work in the north, I do not see him. But he knows the way that I take; and when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.”Job 23:9-10

4.  I can turn things over to My Father, now.  The Bible says ‘I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish…My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all;no one can snatch them out of a Father’s hand.” , John 10:28-29

     CONCLUSION:
         “Father I entrust my ___________________ into your hands.”

=====================

Student’s Notes – with NO answers

Luke 23:44-47
The Last Saying:  “Father I entrust my spirit into your hands.”


INTRODUCTION:  
What is making you REALLY worry?  
___________________________________________

OBSERVATION:   Miracles that happened during Jesus last breathe?  
·     V.45a, the                              stopped shining
·     V. 45b, the                                 in the temple tore into two
·     V.47, a hardened heart was transformed - _______________________

APPLICATION:   Four things to remember in your own darkest hour:
1.   My Father                                me.   Psalm 103:13, As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion to those who honor Him…”

2.  I can                                My Father.  The Bible says, “For the word of the Lord holds true, and everything he does is worthy of our trust.”  Psalm 33:4

3.  My Father                                  what He is doing.  “When he is at work in the north, I do not see him.  But he knows the way that I take; and when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.”Job 23:9-10

4.  I can turn things over to My Father,                           .  The Bible says ‘I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish…My Father who has given them to me, is greater than all;no one can snatch them out of a Father’s hand.” , John 10:28-29

    CONCLUSION: 
         “Father I entrust my ___________________ into your hands.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dispersed To Exile

From Disoriented to United to Divided

Funeral Service for Herminio Resurrection "Ernie"