7 Last Sayings

 


Broadcast Outline: Seasoned with prayer, music and call station 

3:00 - 3:05  - Introductions

3:05 - 3:12 - 1st Saying

3:12 - 3:19 - 2nd Saying

3:19 - 3:26 - 3rd Saying

3:26 - 3:32 - 4th Saying

3:32 - 3:39 - 5th Saying

3:39 - 3:45 - 6th Saying

3:45 - 3:51 - 7th Saying

3:55 - 4:00 - Closing Comments

=============


Sayings of Jesus on the crossMatthewMarkLukeJohn
Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.(Forgiveness)23:34
Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.(Salvation)23:43
Woman, behold thy son! and Behold thy mother! (Relationship)19:26–27
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Abandonment)27:4615:34
I thirst. (Distress)19:28
It is finished. (Triumph)19:30
Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. (Reunion)23:46

Traditionally, these seven sayings are called words of:

  1. Forgiveness,
  2. Salvation,
  3. Relationship,
  4. Abandonment,
  5. Distress,
  6. Triumph, and
  7. Reunion


=========

Broadcast Outline: 

3:00 - 3:05  - Introductions
  • Why is Holy Week important?  
  • Why relieve the horrific death of Christ (when we want to remember the good things of people)?
  • What and Why are there traditions to Holy Week? 

3:05 - 3:12 - 1st Saying

  • Luke 23:43 - Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do
  • To whom was this addressed? 
  • Are the Romans at fault in crucifying Christ?  
  • Do we have anything to do with that?   

3:12 - 3:19 - 2nd Saying


3:19 - 3:26 - 3rd Saying
  • John 19:26-27, Woman, behold, thy son! Behold, thy mother
  • What was in the mind of Jesus when He was dying?   
  • Who was John and why not ask for his siblings to take care of Mary? 
  • Why did Jesus address his mother "woman"? 
3:26 - 3:32 - 4th Saying

3:32 - 3:39 - 5th Saying
  • John 19:28   I thirst,  "After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst."
  • I thought Jesus was God, but he thirst?  
  • What did the Romans give Jesus to drink?  Only John records this saying, but all four gospels relate that Jesus was offered a drink of sour wine. In Mark and Matthew, a sponge was soaked in the wine and lifted up to Jesus on a reed; John says the same, but states that the sponge was affixed to a hyssop branch. This may have been intended as symbolically significant, as hyssop branches are often mentioned in the Old Testament in the context of the use of sacrificial blood for ritual purification. This statement of Jesus is interpreted by John as fulfilment of the prophecy given in Psalm 69:21, "in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink";[36] hence the quotation from John's gospel includes the comment "that the scripture might be fulfilled". The Jerusalem Bible cross-references Psalm 22:15: "my palate is drier than a potsherd, and my tongue is stuck to my jaw".[37]

3:39 - 3:45 - 6th Saying
  • John 19:30,  It is finished.   "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
  • How was this said?  Ofttimes, they whisper when they are dying, but this seems to be out of place?   in Mark 15:37 and Matthew 27:50 (both of which state that Jesus "cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost").
  • Who or what is finished?   

3:45 - 3:51 - 7th Saying
  • Luke 23:46, Father, Into Thy Hands I commend my spirit.   "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost." (Ps. 31:5)  
  • What is the significance of this statement? 
  • Is there really life after death? 

3:55 - 4:00 - Closing Comments
  • Remember the meaning of the death of Jesus
  • He did not remain dead, nor buried but on three days - HE IS RISEN! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

From Dispersed To Exile

From Disoriented to United to Divided

Funeral Service for Herminio Resurrection "Ernie"